Today I am including my top list of ingredients you need to make sure your skincare and makeup products do not contain. These ingredients are some of the worst and most regular you will spot when you read the label of your products. It is scary how toxic these chemicals are yet they are in so many of the products that line your retailers shelves. Shop smart, choose your health and be smart with your dollars babe. What you spend now on good products will save you money on your health and wellness in the long run. You will be able to enjoy a longer, happier more vibrant life by choosing to put yours and our environments health first.
- Petrochemicals such as Petroleum- These absorb through the dermal layer of the skin and create toxicity
- Fillers such as Talc clog pores and are of poor quality. They do nothing good for your skin.
- Preservatives such as Parabens. Particular Parabens are Butylparabens, propylparabens, methylparabens and ethylparabens. Some of these are well know to be endocrine disrupters and they mimic oestrogen in the body. High oestrogen levels have been linked to breast cancer.
- Fragrances. When this is on a bottle this label could mean that there are over 4 thousand separate ingredients with many being toxic or carcinogenic. They can cause headaches, allergic reactions and rashes, dizziness etc and they can also affect the central nervous system, cause depression and hyperactivity.
- Dimethicone these are silicone emollients that cover the skin like glad wrap (plastic) and don’t allow the skin to breathe. By the skin sweating and over heating it can cause irritations on the skin. These also are not biodegradable so effect the environment.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) and Ammonium Laurel Sulfate (ALS) these are put in products to make them foam and can be found in anything from makeup to toothpaste to hand soap. They irritate organs, skin/eyes. They have been linked to developmental/reproductive issues, toxicity, neurotoxicity, endocrine disrupters, and are carcinogenic.
- PEGs and Polyethylene Glycol a synthetic chemical that can be made up of a whole cocktail of nasty ingredients such as lead and arsenic.
When I first learnt of this information it made me angry! How dare they put these sh#t ingredients in my products. I never asked for this, did you? I trusted that product companies, the government and any other industry would have my best interests at heart. I thought that my health and wellness was of importance to them. I thought that the environments health was of importance to them. Unfortunately that is not the case my love. Profits are and the cheaper the product the nastier the ingredients. From now on instead of jack-potting on cheap skincare and cosmetics pick only products that are certified organic or that you have researched and trust that they have yours and the planets health at heart.
Do you use organic skincare products? What is your favourite brand?
To Health & Beauty,
P.S. Do you need support in finding products that are non toxic and are right for your skin type? If you are totally confused when it comes to how to find products that are right for your skin type/concerns and that are healthy for your body and your planet, have no fear. I am currently testing and scrutinizing all organic and natural products that are on the Australian market so that I can start offering you Skincare and Makeup Product Makeovers. That is right. I will soon be offering one-on-one personalised online consultations where I will recommend the best skincare and makeup products for you and your skin type/concerns.