I use coconut oil as:
- Make-up Remover: Poor a small amount of the oil into your hands and massage your face, neck and décolletage (chest above your breasts). The oil emulsifies your make-up and any dirt that has built up on your skin through out the day. Use a warm washer or dampened cotton pads to remove the oil and the dirt/make-up. You will be totally amazed to see how much is removed from your skin. Oil emulsifies oil and that is why this is so great, especially after a long day in air conditioning or at the beach. It is ok for some oil residue to be left on the skin, this protects the skin and keeps it moisturised.
- Eye Make-up remover: It is the best eye make-up remover I have found! You are not left with any mascara, even water proof ones have no change! Just get a little bit on the top of your fingers and rub over your lashes and eye lids in soft sweeping circular motions emulsifying all of your makeup, then wipe off with a dampeded cotton ball or pad.
- Hand and foot treatment: Every night before bed I rub coconut oil into the bottoms of my feet (it is lovely to add lavender oil to this also or a beautiful nights sleep) and all over my hands, focusing on my nails and cuticles. I also had a little bit of dermatitis on my hands from the soap at work (it is a nasty one) that has disappeared from doing this each night.
- Hair Treatment: There is a few variations of how you can use it for this. I like to run coconut oil through my hair concentrating on the ends of my hair the night before I am going to be washing my hair. I then get up in the morning and shampoo and condition my hair and my ends are super silky. You can also rub the oil into your ends and into your scalp, put your hair in a shower cap and then wrap your head in a warm wet towel for 20 mins then shampoo it out.
- Body Moisturiser: OMG I feel like I am on a tropical island everytime I cover my body in this luscious oil. It is so moisturising and really sets off your natural skin tone or a beautiful organic spray tan. I find it really helps maintain my tans also. It is is really great on those with eczema or dermatitis also, it won’t sting or irritate and will actually help soothe and heal it.
- Deodorant: It works as a great deodorant in the colder months, I like to mix mine with essential oils like lemon to help keep it smelling beautiful and for their anti-bacterial properties.
- Lip gloss: I cover my lips in this before I go to bed as a lip treatment and use it through out the day when I am at home. I have just recently had quite dry lips and within 2 days of using it as a night treatment they are luscious and soft again yay!
- Oil pulling: This technique whitens your teeth, cleans your breath and helps prevent any nasty cold and flu causing bacteria. All you do is take a tablespoon of the oil (I add 2 drops of oregano essential oil- but ONLY use a therapeutic grade oil like doTerra) put it in your mouth and swish it around your mouth and through your teeth for 20 minutes. You must do this on an empty stomach. I usually do this as soon as I wake up and while I have a shower and get dressed. I have seen a huge difference in my teeth colour. Do not swallow the oil spit it out and wash your teeth afterwards to remove any bacteria that may still be in your mouth from the oil pulling. To see a demo of this, watch Health Talks video here with Jess The Wellness Warrior demoing how its done.
- Bath Soak: It is so beautiful to add to your warm bath with a few drops of essential oil. You come out of the bath with beautifully soft, moisturised skin and smelling like a tropical island.
Other suggestions for using coconut oil:
- Cradle Cap: Rub into the scalp of your baby or toddler
- Moisturising Oil: This is a beautiful oil to massage your loved on in or your baby.
- Lubricant: Yep that’s right! It is all natural and there are no nasty chemicals in this, wouldn’t you rather use something like this on your delicates? Do not use with latex though!
- Age spots: or liver spots. This will help reduce the appearance of them.
- Bruises: Helps reduce swelling and redness through its healing properties
- Bug bites: can stop the burning and itching sensation while healing the area.
- Burns: Apply to the area and continue this until healed as this will reduce the chances of permanent scarring
- Nipple Cream: Apparently it is great for this too! Any breast feeding mums out there, have you tried this?
- Tattoo healing and moisturising: it will help the healing process as well as prevent any of the pigment fading
- Sunscreen: Coconut oil has a natural sunscreen factor. Still use caution when using this when you are out in the sun for long periods of time.
Well there you have it beauties! Just some of the ways that you can use coconut oil in your beauty regime. Now can you see why this oil is a necessity in your natural beauty product range? My favourite brand is Coconut Magic. They have a great little 150ml bottle that fits perfectly in your beauty cabinet or on your bedside table.
If you have any qu’s hit me up, and I would love to hear from you about how you are currently using coconut oil- have I missed anything?
To Health & Beauty,
Photo used under Creative Commons from Phú Th?nh Co